Sunday, April 15, 2012

Everything is Golden?

Now, how do I start this post without being too cheesy? Well, I guess I'll just start off with how the day went by. I woke up around 8, ate a hearty breakfast, then headed off to school to work on the yearbook. After spending several hours with my adviser and fellow editor-in-chief, my parents picked me up to visit some college receptions.

At the Marriott, my parents and I walked into the lobby and were led to the reception, passing by an island of Starbucks coffeemakers at the entrance. The first college presented the generic pitch of being socioeconomically, ethnically, academically "diverse" and lauded the class of 2016 for being the highest achievers that admissions officers have seen in ages. Before it was over, we left (not before grabbing a couple packets of Tazo tea and an irresistibly adorable mini jar of honey) to attend another reception being held at a rather luxurious home in an affluent neighborhood less than ten minutes away. 

This is a small preview of the private location of the reception of the second university (yes, I have a bad habit of using "college" and "university" interchangably.) It's gorgeous, isn't it? They're probably sending some sort of subliminal message to the potential undergraduates...

Now, this second reception was the one of the university that currently stands as my top choice, and it is all the way on the east coast! My parents and I were one of the first to arrive, and standing by a couple of people dressed in business-casual attire, we all felt under-dressed. Although the host reassured that this was an informal gathering, we couldn't help but feel a little awkward in this sophisticated and classy environment. Hors d'oeuvres were served, including salad in take-out boxes, macaroons, cheese and crackers, and even artichoke! (I don't understand why artichokes are served at a social gathering; I just don't find it practical.) Despite the mild discomfort, I met many kind people from high schools I have never heard of before and ate delicious food, dabbling in one of my first semi-formal congregations. 

My conviction in choosing this school strengthened. My goal since the beginning of the school year was to get as far away as possible and not to escape my family. I seek independence, a whole new environment, and an opportunity to expand my horizons. What is a better alternative than through a distant college? I can imagine myself as a part of the group I met in the future. Then came the bittersweet moment.

Why does beauty always evoke introspection?

I want to go far, and my conviction to go to this university is pretty solid. But I love my parents, my friends. This coming week, I'm probably going to be loving my friends ten a hundred-fold when I see what they do for my birthday. The prospect of finally living on my own, my coming-of-age, and combined with a beautiful evening sunset, made me feel sad. My happiness in the beginning of the day is subdued, and taking its place is a small melancholy. 

I know my path lies straight ahead, but I wonder whether or not I am aware of how blindly I am running towards it.

Is everything as golden as it seems? Or is it merely a passing glimmer?

No comments:

Post a Comment