Friday, September 28, 2012

I sometimes question myself...

...that's an understatement. I'm always questioning myself. Honestly, I'm always thinking about money. I know I'm getting a substantial amount from my school, but recently I've been spending a lot on small luxury/necessities. So that's sort of difficult. I buy things because they're relatively "cheap" and would definitely be used. However, how do I shake off this...guilt? Not exactly tremendous guilt, but that feeling that if had just applied for a few jobs or scholarships, all of this money I'm spending could be coming out of my own pocket. I have federal work-study, and a lot of jobs are uneventual--you can spend it sitting and doing homework. I feel as if I'm not taking advantage of this free opportunity.

That's another problem. Opportunity. Just because I have the opportunity, I'm not sure if I should always be taking it. I know that the dining hall is costing everyone about $14 per meals with 10 meals per week, but I definitely am not eating at the dining hall ten times a week, or even $14 worth of food (in my opinion, so I do try to hock fruits, which they guard heavily against). Should I be contented with that? Should I try to go more often to take advantage of what I'm already paying for? Or should I just not think of it that way? Just because I have the opportunity to earn $1500 per semester for just sitting around, should I take it? It feels ridiculous not to, especially since my international-student friends don't even have that opportunity and are paying a fortune to attend Georgetown...

Yeah, I need to get over myself. I can't ever imagine myself doing something so...conventional. My mentality (and admittedly, laziness) deters me from applying for these jobs. I've always dreamt of making money in college doing something I genuinely enjoy, such as selling food, selling stock images, fixing/sewing items, or even winning....scholarships? Money that comes out of things that I'm actually doing and like to do. So far, it seems counter-intuitive because one of my reasons for not finding a job is that I'm busy and feel as if I have too many responsibilities--I currently enjoy and take advantage of the few non-flexible hours I have each day. But besides that, all that's on my mind is midterms and an Indian friend that I made...I will find out more about her tomorrow...

Cinnamon rolls cooked on Mexican Independence Day with turbinado sugar!

Granola cooked on the same day. Perfect combination of ionized salt, blackstrap molasses, and honey.

Lackluster banana muffins...

Tried making spinach soup in my Magic Bullet. I guess it sort of worked?

Part of my desk set-up.

My friends and me when we went to the White House after eating at the absurdly-expensive restaurant, "Burma."
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi addresses the Burmese community and  finally receives the AU honorary degree in person.

Met some important people at American University after the Daw Aung San Suu Kyi address to the Burmese community. I believe this one lady was part of the cohort defending Daw Aung San Suu Kyi in a 2000 uprising.

At the Smithsonian Museum of Art with Yuzana on a monster hunt for the "Art of Video Games" exhibit.

Eating at chinese restaurant with overpriced watercress with a friend from American University.

Chocolate bunny with a shattered bottom. Customer service kindly offered to send a new one.

The longest physical struggle since I got here: getting a 10-ream box  of copy paper (because it was $49 - $10 instant coupon - $39 rebate = FREE) from Dupont Circle (L St.) to campus. I took the school's GUTS bus to Dupont, walked four blocks to Staples, tried to walk back to the GUTS bus stop, died about 2 blocks into the walk, and pulled in a kind taxi driver.) Then gave out free paper! :)

Getting involved in DC!

My extravagance for the week: I caved in and bought a refillable pen. I fell in love with the fine point and  ink... $4 for 2 and $1 each refill pack. I got tired of cheap pens skipping ink..I really need to watch where I spend money...Sigh, my wastefulness...

No comments:

Post a Comment