Saturday, September 8, 2012

About to break a leg..

How has the past few days been? Far too fun. So smooth and enjoyable that I know that something bad is just waiting to happen.

Last night, I took the subway to a stop farther east of Georgetown to meet up with my daw lay and Mee Mee in the afternoon and had an amazing time. I saw and picked boo thee leaves and the vegetable itself in her backyard. She opened her invitation to her house to all of my friends, especially this one Burmese friend I had in mind. Mee Mee came over, and we promised to have sleepovers every now and then as well! After sending me home with "Nga pi Kyaw chin Baung Kyaw chin hin!!!!! Nga Kyaw !!! Boo nyunt!!!" I graciously invited this girl to breakfast the following day, and there, we hit it off.

We met up with one of her friends, who attends American University, and took the bus and Metro to Chinatown, bought buns and loads of Asian snacks, including white rabbit, a bamboo mat, then ate dinner at this one restaurant that displayed fresh noodle-making in its window, ordering Chinese (not American) watercress leaves, wonton soup, fried noodles, and Szechuan ("see-shwan," according to the waiter) chicken. The leaves were unfresh, but everything was delicious and probably handmade. Awesome.

Then we saw the Smithsonian Art Museum on the border of the very-small Chinatown (which has a lot of American stores and eateries simply with a Chinese translation tacked onto the sign as well, a very sad excuse for a Chinatown indeed). Apparently, the Art of Video Games exhibition was going on, and we embarked on a scavenger hunt, winning 7 buttons each in the process. Yay for classic Pac-man, Legend of Zelda, etc. buttons! Oh, and these was this one very awesome section in the museum where each game console was stationed in a blue-lit room, patterned on the floor with funky ceiling lights, and Final Fantasy VII was reppin' the PS. I loved the Smithsonian--it seemed that this event was highly underrated, since not many people were there. But now I'm going to make sure that I bring my camera with me whenever I go out--something I haven't been doing at all lately..

Later, we headed to Columbia Heights to shop at Target and Marshalls--stores that felt nostalgic in a weird way to buy stuff to prepare our common room kitchen for, you know, cooking and baking. After taking a bus "back to Georgetown," (mistakenly getting off 2 miles away from campus), this newfound friend and I shared stories, and just had a great time sort of getting lost, but sort of knowing where we were at the same time...and then there was a random, kind old black man who came up to us to give us his heartfelt feelings about Asians, sharing his background and complimenting us for who--or what race--we are...

2 comments:

  1. ... I want retro game buttons! XD Sounds awesome! Also haven't had burmese food in quite a long time... The closest thing resembling something mom makes is the dual layer coconut jelly (bottom layer is a translucent almond jelly and top is opaque coconut jelly with shredded coconut). If you get the chance, try Szechuan preserved beancurd - the liquid is a lot like a sweet "jiao" sauce. You'll know what I'm talking about when you taste it.

    It's nice that people are much more tolerant of ethnicity in many areas ... it's just the few ignoramuses that ruin everything.

    Anyways, take care! Getting lost is always a funventure as long as you make it back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, I'm trying to pickle my own chilis - hot hatch chilis to be precise. I'm sure you remember those jarred sliced jalapenos. I'm trying to replicate it so I stuffed a jar full of cut hatch chilis, garlic cloves, whole coriander and peppercorns, bay leaves, salt, and cane vinegar.

    ReplyDelete