Sunday, April 29, 2012

Oh man, what a Saturday...

My Saturday was so chock full of different things that it deserves its own post.

Besides opening a student checking account, my day was spent pretty much entirely in the kitchen, where most of my "accomplishments" are carried out. With lots of school-related assignments (which I yet again neglect on Saturday), as well as room-cleaning, to do, I opted to instead bake 2 cakes for my grandmother's 79th birthday celebration tomorrow at a Chinese restaurant. And that task certainly took longer than expected.

This shows the wonderful crust of one of my layers
 of coconut cake I baked Friday night.
Both layers domed a bit and fell, I discovered Saturday morning.
My mother thought it was supposed to be a high-rising sponge
 cake and that the cake thusly failed. I assured her that this was
how the cake was supposed to be.
My mom made wonton wrappers yet again,
 using just her typical pasta noodle recipe.
Melted chocolate is painted onto mint leaves.
The leaves are peeled off after a moment in the fridge, revealing
a textured pattern--a chocolate leaf, basically.
Potstickers are being cooked on double-duty
by my dad.
Look at where they stuck to the pot! My dad
 proudly holds up a perfectly crisped one.
One batch that we made today yielded
 about 40 pieces. Guess where they all are now?
This is the top of my egg-white vanilla frosting.
 A first time for me!
The frosting is remarkably white. It's a shame that
 it's going to be smothered in toasted coconut.
Actually, no it isn't.
Aerial view of the coconut cake in its final stages of completion.
A close-up because the icing is peeking through!
Sorry, the cake is cam-whoring again.
The leftover icing makes for failed
mushroom-top-esque meringues. So sad.
Oh man, this cake actually looks very amateur.
But oh well, at least it'll taste great!
Single-layered "healthy" chocolate cake topped with
 chocolate-dippedstrawberries with red Betty Crocker icing.
 Oh boy, did my mother and I, as well as my dad, have such
 an ordeal with the store-bought red icing. Never EVER again.
Let's just say I hope the partially-hydrogenated "mother's" and
"day" freezes before morning...

And my teacher just wrote as his Appreciation Post #16: "Last year, I also met some incredible juniors who still hold a place in my heart. Victoria, I want to say thank you for keeping me true to my career. When I first met you, I didn't know how profound an impact you would have on my teaching style and my dedication to the job, but since meeting you, you have not only made me a better teacher, but you also made a better person. Because of you, I remember to be compassionate, I remember to be forthcoming in what I do, and I remember to pour my heart into everything I do, just like you do. I will definitely miss your smiling face and optimism after you graduate this year, but I will definitely remember the kind of teacher and person I should be when I think of you."

Although this was extremely touching, I could not help but feel as if it were a bit impersonal, maybe because it is a bit vague? I'd like to know how I have had such a profound impact on him--simply because of my being assiduous? Nonetheless, it is still a post that warms my heart to no end, since this teacher gifted me an early graduation present as well a couple of days ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment